Monday, March 8, 2010

People Don't Eat Food Anymore

As I perused the office fridge this morning I came to the realization that people don't eat food anymore. It would seem that we eat "food". The freezer is chocked full of frozen entrees. Leftovers are a rare sight in the fridge. I have been cooking at home more (to the point of even putting a menu on the fridge) and I have my leftovers which are so much more filling than anything in that freezer.

The state of our food in this country is quite terrifying. I just watched Food Inc. for the first time and I love that it's just the facts. I spoke to several people about the film and all had the same reaction, they don't want to watch the film because they are afraid they will feel compelled to give up their favorite foods.

For me, the film gave a lot of information that I already knew but had sort of stored away. I feel especially sensitive toward the farmers for all they have been through. I haven't made any radical changes but slowly I am definitely heading in what I consider to be a healthier direction. Slow food is definitely the way to go. I hope that eventually I will be baking my own bread, making my own yogurt and harvesting from my own garden. As a new mom I have learned that this takes time and trying to do things all at once just means things will not be done properly and I will be frustrated (and possibly quit altogether). So one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment